EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (Full-Time)
Launch Leadership, Inc. (Launch) is seeking an Executive Director to oversee its day-to-day operations and development efforts. The ideal candidate must be successful in achieving Launch’s mission through fundraising, staff management, public outreach and program coordination. We are looking for a candidate with passion and commitment to help us innovate and grow, while maintaining our organization’s culture and vibrancy. The Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Launch Leadership’s staff, programs, volunteers, expansion, and execution of its mission. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, staff, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, community outreach and program coordination. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
We are seeking a candidate with experience who is passionate about youth leadership development and excited about building strong partnerships with a vibrant and enthusiastic volunteer staff.
This position will report to the Launch Board of Directors.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization, in accordance with Launch’s strategic plan, goals and policies.
- Ensure financial security of Launch Leadership, Inc. by implementing a sustainable revenue action plan.
The role of the Executive Director includes, but is not limited to, activities in the following domains:
- Manage the volunteer leadership team and paid employees
- Coordinate the work of volunteer leadership team and paid employees
- Conduct performance reviews of the volunteer leadership team and paid employees
- Develop and implement an organizational staffing structure that optimizes organization’s efficiency
- Manage team responsible for all internal communications, external communications and marketing for the organization
- Manage services registration team and the scholarship process for all Launch services
- Build effective relationships with paid staff, leadership, and volunteers.
- Select volunteer leadership team and coordinate hiring of paid employees
- Perform ongoing analysis of the volunteer staff and paid employee structure, in order to recommend possible future positions to the board of directors
Finance and Development
- Work with the Treasurer and Finance Committee to develop the annual budget and ensure financial goals are set and met
- Develop and sustain a diverse funding base with an emphasis on corporate and foundation giving
- Grow and develop an individual donor base
- Manage annual giving campaigns and marketing strategy for Give to Lincoln Day, Giving Tuesday and end of year giving
- Oversee Launch’s fundraiser, Fire & Fuzzies
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Launch’s mission.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Launch, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Pursue collaborations with relevant partners
- Represent the organization at public events and to the news media
- Increase the visibility of the organization through the development and implementation of a sustainable marketing campaign
- Collaborate with the Launch Board of Trustees to maximize giving opportunities in their networks
- Responsible for the enhancement of Launch’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Coordinate and prepare Board of Directors meetings and schedule board committee meetings as necessary
- Develop and present to the Board the organization’s annual report
- The Executive Director shall also carry out other duties as designated by the Board.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 3+ years of experience in nonprofit management
- 5+ years fundraising for similar size organization
- Experience managing volunteers in a professional setting
- Ability to develop and execute public relations campaigns
- Work schedule must be flexible to accommodate volunteer schedules. Ideal candidate will be able to work some evenings and weekends. Leadership team of the organization is volunteer-based. All leadership meetings will take place in the evening or on weekends.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Very strong interpersonal skills, especially an ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including grant writing and public speaking.
- Professional manner that exemplifies attention to detail, confidentiality, patience, and a positive attitude toward work.
- Working knowledge of word processing, databases, spreadsheets and general computer literacy. Specifically Google products, Quickbooks and Neon.
- Experience with Launch or a similar non-profit organization is preferred.
- Ability to lead fun-loving, enthusiastic Volunteer Staff and students in a progressive and creative environment.
- Hired candidate will be expected to complete a modified volunteer staff training program and to staff a Summer Leadership Workshop and/or Leadership Retreats
- Ability to be present and provide guidance at summer leadership workshops
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Experience in camp management and/or registration a plus
Organization Description: Launch is a 501(c)3 non-profit, volunteer organization focused on developing leadership skills in young people. Its mission is to empower young leaders to transform their communities and change our world. Launch originally began as the Nebraska Association of Student Councils Volunteer Staff in 1976. Launch was established as a separate non-profit in 2013. Our Services include two annual five-day summer Workshops which will be held at Doane University in 2020 and dozens of Year-Round Services all over Nebraska and in the surrounding region.
Our goal is to spark the “fire.” The fire is an individual’s passion, courage and empowerment to change their schools, communities and the world through robust leadership skills. Our Services create a positive environment where our students are empowered to discover themselves, build confidence, and develop leadership skills. Launch is based in Lincoln, NE, with more than 200 active volunteers throughout the United States. Launch Volunteers have fostered a tradition of youth leadership for over 40 years. Over this time they have created a culture of compassion, understanding and collaboration; find out what we are all about at launchleadership.org.
Launch is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusiveness in its volunteers, staff and programs.
Organization Impact Launch provides leadership development throughout the school year and at our Summer Workshop to over 2500 students a year. Our services are run by over 200 active Volunteer Staffers that live across the United States and come from a multitude of backgrounds.
Background Check: All candidates must be lawful permanent residents of the United States. They must be able to provide a valid driver’s license and pass a background and credit check due to the required financial responsibilities.
Evaluation: The Executive Director’s performance will be evaluated annually by the Board. There is no term limit for this position.
Compensation: Salary based on experience. Comprehensive benefits package, details available upon request.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, four professional references and any follow-up questions to email@example.com.
Launch Leadership is a volunteer-powered nonprofit, passionate about helping middle and high school students discover themselves through immersive, experience-based leadership training. We serve approximately 2,000 students throughout the year during our five-day Summer Leadership Workshops (currently hosted in Crete, NE), Leadership Retreats, and other year round services.